Regulation of Online Payments in Botswana
There is a clear legal infrastructure in Botswana to Regulate Payment Service Providers. This is managed by the Bank of Botswana under the Electronic Payment Service Regulations 2019.
VCS Botswana (DPO Group representative in Botswana) is operating under the guidelines of the Bank of Botswana and is in the process to acquire a license accordingly. Merchants in Botswana can already register to DPO and transact online.
Card companies’ regulations also apply:
- The card account number
- The name as it appears on the card
- The card expiration date as it appears on the card
- The cardholder’s statement address
- Also check whether the card has a card start date and record this detail.
- If possible, take note of a contact phone number and the name of the financial institution that issued the card.
MasterCard requires that merchants comply with the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard.
American Express recommends merchants only ship to the cardmember’s billing address.
Who can open a merchant account in Botswana with DPO?
Any business owner: travel & hospitality industry (hotel, airline, travel agent, tour operator, tour guides and restaurants) and eCommerce merchants (retail, utility, can immediately open an account and enjoy DPO’s online and mobile payment processing services. Merchants can also apply for the DPO prepaid Card and for an online shop, under the DPO Store program.