Regulation of Payments in Namibia
Namibia’s government has not imposed guidelines for payments in the country. Instead, banks adhere to the guidelines provided by the credit card companies themselves.
Visa requirements call for merchants to ensure that, at a minimum, the following customer details are collected:
- The card account number
- The name as it appears on the card
- The card expiration date as it appears on the card
- The cardholder’s statement address
- Also check whether the card has a card start date and record this detail.
- If possible, take note of a contact phone number and the name of the financial institution that issued the card.
MasterCard requires that merchants comply with the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard.
Virtual Card Services Namibia (PTY) Limited ‘DPO’, is a Licensed Payment Service Provider and is duly regulated by the Bank of Namibia (BoN)/Payment Association of Namibia (PAN) under the Payment Systems Act 2013
American Express recommends merchants only ship to the cardmember’s billing address.
Who can open an account with DPO Group?
Any travel related merchant / provider and E-commerce merchants (hotel, airline, travel agent, tour operator, tour guides etc.) can open an account immediately and enjoy DPO’s online and mobile payment services.